Plans for multiple shared repositories in KAF?

ckong11
ckong11 Los Angeles, CA Founder Posts: 5

Are there any plans to allow for multiple shared repositories in KAF like there is for Mediaspace? It would really help a group of instructional designers share media across sites they are building out in the LMS (specifically Canvas and Moodle).

I found this: https://knowledge.kaltura.com/help/how-to-create-multiple-shared-repositories-in-kaf

And I am hoping to replicate this for KAF: https://knowledge.kaltura.com/help/shared-repository

Best Answers

• thomas_ellis
    thomas_ellis Virginia, U.S.Kalturian Posts: 58 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

@ckong11 , so if I understand you correctly, then I think you're actually fine. The limitation of not having more than one shared repo only applies to a single LMS (or more appropriately, one KAF instance). In that scenario, you can't have more than one shared repo in one LMS, but if you have multiple LMS's (or multiple KAF instances), then each can have it's own unique shared repo. Does that make sense, and is that helpful to your use case?

Thomas Ellis | Principal Solutions Engineer Kaltura

Answers

• thomas_ellis

Hey @ckong11 . I'm not aware of any plans at the moment for that. Can you elaborate on the use case a little more? Are you working in multiple LMS's and wanting shared repo content to co-reside in both places? There are some workflows and/or some custom modules that may be able to get you what you're looking for.

• mkraft
    mkraft Michigan, USAFounder Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

@ckong11 we use a combination of Mediaspace groups with this workflow. It works because the media space exists on the same KMC as the KAF. Once the groups are created and populated using the method you prefer group members can assign media ownership or collaborator roles to the group rather than to individual people. This causes the media to show up in the group members' personal my media library.

TThis works because the authentication and user identification between the KAF and and the KMS is the same and caldera will carry those groups forward into the KAF

We prefer this approach because the KAF shared repository doesn't provide the deep permissioning and other controls that we would rather see there. It's a little extra work in the outset and a little extra work for the users because they have to manage media ownership or collaborators, but it keeps the media in the purview of the desired users.

Melinda Kraft, Business Systems Analyst Lead (she, her, hers)

University of Michigan - ITS Teaching & Learning

Ann Arbor, MI 48109-3704

• ckong11

@mkraft !!! I wonder if I am not setting this up correctly.

I created a channel in MediaSpace, but the highest level I can add someone is Manager, as the channel can only have one owner. I then added individual users as members to the channel with the role of Manager. Then I loaded the channel with some videos, but when I go to each video, go to Edit and select Collaboration, I don't see the members listed. And when I had someone log into the LMS and check their My Media, they did not see the videos from the channel listed.

I'm hoping I don't have to go to each media and click on Collaboration and add a bunch of IDs. Especially if someone is newly onboarded and should have access to all media in the channel.

• thomas_ellis

@ckong11 , if you reach out to your account manager and ask for a session with a Solutions Engineer, we can help walk you through multiple options to see what best fits your needs 🙂. @mkraft made some great points, and there’s also potential to leverage some additional modules like categorymemberscollaboration and kafchannelpublishing to potentially further streamline some of your workflows.

• ckong11

OH MY GOSH!! THANK YOU SO MUCH@mkraft!! This is super useful. We did create a group in KAF and I see I can change the media owner to be the group (WOWOWOW this was the workflow I was missing).

I am also thinking of having the group create a channel in the KMS and add the group members with the role of collaborators. That way they can upload all things that need to be shared there and someone with KMC access can quickly locate the media and bulk change the owner role.

@thomas_ellis thanks for the tip about reaching out and asking for a session with a Solution Engineer. I may have to do this if I want to think of an automated way to change the media owner from a person to a group.

• thomas_ellis

@ckong11 , if you use a MediaSpace channel, then you could leverage the categorymemberscollaboration module to have member of the channel with a certain role (like MODERATOR for example) be automatically added as co-editor and/or co-publisher to any piece of content that is published to that channel.

• mkraft
    mkraft Michigan, USAFounder Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

@thomas_ellis This is not a built-in module. Is it something you can request without cost to be added to a KMS? We've been achieving a similar end result by manually changing ownership to a group when the media is uploaded. Is there a categorymembersowner module? That would make for a timesaver for some of our workflows.

Melinda Kraft, Business Systems Analyst Lead (she, her, hers)

University of Michigan - ITS Teaching & Learning

Ann Arbor, MI 48109-3704