Status of V7 Player Beta

christopher_phillips
christopher_phillips Logan, UTFounder Posts: 17 ✭✭

Last year there was a great presentation in the August 24th office hours about the V7 player and the work that was happening to get all of the plugins ready. At the time, the product manger shared that they were planning an Early Adopter/Beta program that was hoped to be available in mid-October. My understanding is that program has been delayed and hasn't yet started.

From that discussion, my understanding was that the player was basically production ready and that the primary limitation was around the extensions that still need to be made V7 player compatible.

I have had access to a version of the player since 2020 and we love it - even with the plugin limitations. That said, we have have struggled to get a certain answer about the upgradeability of the player we are using to the final version.

We are starting to prepare for fall courses and I would love to get an update to get a sense of whether we could possible start using that player more widely (even with the existing limitations) to take advantage of some of the great feature and improved user experience that it provides.

Does anyone have any updates on the status of the V7 player or the early adopter program?

Comments

• jmeegan
    jmeegan Massachusetts, USAFounder Posts: 5

+1

Any information about the v7 player roadmap would be greatly appreciated.

• thomas_ellis
    thomas_ellis Virginia, U.S.Kalturian Posts: 68 ✭✭

@christopher_phillips @jmeegan , I'll have to check on details for the BETA program, however I'm hearing internally (unofficially) that we are targeting Q3 to have the player plugins at feature parity.

The biggest gaps/needs for education customers were transcript, dual-stream, chapters, and quizzes. All of those plugins are available now at various stages of release. If you'd like to see a crude example of dual-stream, chapters, and transcript, you can check out https://jsfiddle.net/thomas_ellis/fLsvd96z/1/

for quizzing, see https://jsfiddle.net/thomas_ellis/fdjzv5m6/1/

If you'd like a version of those players added to your PID so you can test further with your own content, just contact your RAE/CSM and they can ensure we get it added for you. Also, happy to take any feedback you have from testing and ensure it gets back to the Product team.

Thomas Ellis | Principal Solutions Engineer Kaltura

• jmeegan
    jmeegan Massachusetts, USAFounder Posts: 5

@thomas_ellis This is great to see, thank you so much for sharing!

• christopher_phillips
    christopher_phillips Logan, UTFounder Posts: 17 ✭✭

Thanks @thomas_ellis, that is super helpful - we have a beta of the player added to our KMC that is running version 7.47 of the player that we love (even with the limited functionality), but have been hesitant implementing it in courses without knowing a little more about the beta program, how updates will come, and if there will for sure be an upgrade path from this current version that we are on (7.47) to the production ready release.

Do you know if release notes for the V7 player are published somewhere where we can track updates?

• thomas_ellis
    thomas_ellis Virginia, U.S.Kalturian Posts: 68 ✭✭

@christopher_phillips , you're welcome 🙂. Regarding you current version you are testing, since it is already V7 then it will work fine and will be upgradeable as new versions of the core player, as well as plugins roll out. No worries there. Unofficially, I'm hearing late-end Q3 for core plugin feature parity for V7 vs. V2 player.

Regarding release notes, that's something we've been asking for a little while now, but we haven't gotten a solid commitment yet on for V7. Ideally that would we included in the knowledge center as well, and I will raise it again with the Product team.

Thomas Ellis | Principal Solutions Engineer Kaltura