Update regarding recent upload errors in KMS

Dani
Dani Northern California USAKalturian Posts: 242 admin
edited June 29 in Kaltura Updates

Greetings,

Sharing an important update from the Customer Care team below.

The recent Mediaspace deployment on May 11th contained two changes related to resolving upload errors. The first was related to file size. The second added the ability to test a different configuration as another potential improvement. Specifically, it added a configuration feature, a flag that could manually change/control the chunk size value of a file. It allowed for testing the chunk size as a static value of 5 MB, instead of a dynamic value. Testing was completed both internally and externally in collaboration with some customers, and returned positive results -- large files were uploaded without errors.

Based on these test results, we will deploy a change to set the chunk size to the static value of 5 MB. The deployment is currently planned for the Mediaspace release on Sunday June 13th.

Thanks!

Dani

Senior Director, Community

*Click on a positive reaction if my reply was helpful

Best Answers

• Dani
    Accepted Answer

June 16 update

To date, two changes have deployed with the goal of improving performance of uploads, specific to upload errors for file size. These deployments were on May 11th and June 14th for Kaltura MediaSpace.

We are in the process of collecting feedback from our customers on the level of improvement seen for these two changes. By now we have received positive feedback from a number of customers that errors are no longer occurring during upload.

Collecting feedback from all our customers is of great importance to us. With that in mind, kindly re-test uploads of large file sizes and share with us the results. Especially update us if you observe recent upload errors, after June 14th.

If you do see errors, please provide the following information in order for us to investigate further:

- Are the recent errors occurring when uploading in KMC, KMS or API?

- Kindly also provide a HAR file of the error occurring. (Our Engineering team requires a HAR file to investigate errors.)

Currently, no additional changes are planned, however, your feedback will allow us to have a thorough review of customer impact and determine next steps.

We look forward to your feedback.

Thanks,

Dani

• emumpton
    emumpton Syracuse, NY (North America)Founder Posts: 10
    Accepted Answer

@Misaki - at this time our Kaltura instance has been updated. Our admins and end-users have tested and we have encountered no problems with the uploads on high-bandwidth network connections.

I would recommend opening a ticket with suppport to allow them to gather information and investigate. In speaking with Kaltura support leadership, it was noted that the multiple upload errors were a somewhat complex issue with different causes requiring different solutions based on the individual situation.

Regards,

-Eric M. @ SyracuseU

Answers

• Dani

The was scheduled for June 6th and has now been moved out to June 13th.

Dani

• Dani

Matthew,

I checked internally and everything has been deployed in production through yesterday. Let me know if you're not seeing the update in your environment.

Thanks!

Dani

• mjwarne
    mjwarne Syracuse, New York, USAFounder Posts: 2

Thanks, Dani. I have asked an end user that reported the issue to test for improvements. Cheers! -Matthew

• ycuyugan
    ycuyugan U.S.Founder Posts: 4

@Dani I'm not sure if Kaltura has an official requirements for upload speed. I've been testing and it seems that if the speeds is 2mbps or lower upload speed you can run into some issues. Test results below

25 MB File - upload completes

70 MB - upload hangs

So far 3mbps or higher upload speed has been good but this is just my testing.

I know it's a little crazy that someone would have those upload speeds but I have users experiencing these upload issues. Low and behold their upload speed has been fairly low. Therefore I've been advising users to check with their ISP why their speed are so low.

• Willa
    Willa Berkeley, CAFounder Posts: 10

@ycuyugan I have a ~2 mbps upload speed and had trouble with uploading via KMS or KAF the last two days. I didn't have problems with it before. We submitted a ticket w/ support and it was resolved for us this morning.

I think @alex_umn (sorry for calling you out!) had used a network throttling tool that may be useful for testing. I'm hoping Alex can share since I didn't write down what it was!

• ycuyugan
    ycuyugan U.S.Founder Posts: 4

@Willa I was using Chrome's and FF's browser's native throttling tool to test and was able to replicate. But you are right, Kaltura had remedied it but it might be helpful to have an official statement \ requirement from Kaltura vs me telling my users.

As for the 2 MB upload, I'll need to retest as I was having issues with files that were 70MB and higher.

Thanks Willa for the insight too 😀

• alex_umn
    alex_umn MinneapolisFounder Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited June 24

Hrm, we just got a report of upload problems from a user, so I'll be looking into this too.

@Willa No problem! The thing I've used to throttle my connection in the past is Apple's Network Link Conditioner preference pane. For more info about that, see Network Link Conditioner - NSHipster. Here's a screenshot:

• Dani

Thanks all I am checking with the OPS team and Support to find out about any known issues here, thanks for chiming in!

Dani

This Month's Leaders