Alert: Parent/Child entries (dual screen appearance) affected by new Zoom integration flow

Dani
Dani Northern California USAKalturian Posts: 242 admin
edited June 29 in Kaltura Updates

Our engineering team identified a bug with entries uploaded via the new Zoom integration (Drop Folder). We are referring to a scenario with Parent and Child entries when child entry type is “Audio” only (without picture/video) and also when the  effected account configure the Parent entry to show on the  small screen, and the Child on the main screen. 

When Zoom content uploaded with a Parent and Child entries, and Child entry type is Audio only:

• Expected result:

When running the content, the Parent entry shall appear/run in the screen, and the Audio of the child entry will play (no screen for Child entry). 

• Actual result (Bug):

When running the content, the Parent entry appear/run on the small window in the screen and the child entry appears in the main screen with a logo of “Audio” and also the Audio will play. Example in the below screenshot: 

Permanent solution: we have deployed a code fix as part of recent deployment on Sunday June 20th, all entries after June 20th won’t be affected and shall behave as expected. 

Fix for affected entries: For entries created/uploaded before June 20th (but with new Zoom integration “Drop Folder”), we have identified 14,118 affected Child entries  that our engineering team prepared a script to fix them retroactively. We are planning to run this script next Sunday June 27th to get all these child entries aligned.

Thanks all for your patience and understanding!

Regards,

Dani

Senior Director, Community

*Click on a positive reaction if my reply was helpful

Comments

• emumpton
    emumpton Syracuse, NY (North America)Founder Posts: 10

@Dani - is there a status on the completion for the retroactive script fix for affected entry cleanup? is this on the same schedule path as the https://community.kaltura.com/discussion/98/alert-new-zoom-integration-uploaded-entry-from-zoom-may-not-be-visible-for-user#latest (end of day Monday, June 28?

Much appreciated!

-Eric M.

Eric M. - Syracuse University

• Dani

Eric,

These are 2 distinctly separate issues. Having said that I don't know if they are being addressed by the same script. Regardless one was targeted for yesterday the second end of day today.

I'll check with Support Ops to confirm.

Thanks!

Dani

• Dani
    edited July 19

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your inquiry. Below please find some information (provided by our support team) to hopefully address your questions:

1. The current Parent/Child flow is expected behavior if a single meeting has multiple recordings. This is per the recent new behavior that our Product team has defined.

2. There is not currently a configuration option to turn on/off or disable this new behavior. In other words, end users cannot separate between the (Parent/Child) videos once they are created. 

3. For a short time, until users get used to this change, Customer Care can manually separate Parent/Child entries for a specific entry. This is a manual task, and would be done for a specific Entry ID. If this is something you need, you would need to open a new Customer Care case with us on the Portal. The case would need to include the specific entry that you would like to see separated. It is key to stress that this manual work, so it is meant for a specific request/need and cannot be done for multiple numbers of entries. 

I hope this clarifies! Feel free to post any additional questions here if anything in the above is still unclear.

Thanks!

Dani

• ssalina
    ssalina Waltham, MAFounder Posts: 3

Hi Dani. Thank you for this. This is the same response I've received before, so I did know this information. However I was hoping maybe things had changed a little. There really needs to be a way for the end user, or us as admins, have an easy way to separate the parent/child entries. Many times I don't see these videos, as I'm not actively seeking them out. And then a while later the end user will come to me wondering why their video does this (and many others never bother to ask, but hearing through the grapevine, they're frustrated). I've explained to not use multiple options when cloud recording their Zoom sessions, but 1) other users who haven't experienced this yet will choose multiple options, or 2) there's a good reason to choose multiple options, usually for editing purposes afterwards. So having a clear, and EASY way to separate them is highly needed. Sending these one by one to customer support is not a long term viable option.

-Steve

Steven C Salina

Senior Manager, Instructional and Research Video Technologies

Academic Technology Center

Bentley University