What should newcomers to Kaltura learn first?

Piper
Piper Austin, TXAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 52 admin

Hey folks,

I've been with the community for several months now, and I confess that I still find myself confused. So, given that and the fact that we have many new members coming to the community, I'd like to know what advice you have for those like me.

Thanks!

Piper Wilson

Community Moderator

Best Answers

• chrismmurray
    chrismmurray Asheville, NCFounder Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Hi Piper,

I'm with you. What are you most confused about? What are trying to do? Where are you stuck? Maybe that would be a good conversation starter.

Chris Murray

Sr. Manager Online Learning, Unreal Engine

Twitter: @chrismmurray | LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/chrismmurray/ 

Answers

• Dani
    Dani Northern California USAKalturian Posts: 242 admin
    edited October 15

@Piper

Great topic! Here are a few places for newbies to the community!

1. visit the welcome area of the community
    2. https://community.kaltura.com/categories/welcome
    3. use the Search bar to search existing conversations
    4. begin a new discussion, ask a question or suggest an idea by clicking on the New Post button

Cheers!

Dani

Senior Director, Community

*Click on a positive reaction if my reply was helpful

• chrismmurray
    chrismmurray Asheville, NCFounder Posts: 38 ✭✭

Hi Piper, I'm with you. What are you most confused about? Maybe that would be a good starting point?

Chris Murray

Sr. Manager Online Learning, Unreal Engine

Twitter: @chrismmurray | LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/chrismmurray/ 

• Piper

@chrismmurray - That's a good point. I'm so far behind the power curve that it's hard to choose just one thing. Let's start slow.

Kaltura offers free trials for some of its products - https://corp.kaltura.com/free-trial-lobby/. Where should a new person start? I understand that someone in education would be interested in the Virtual Classroom, but is that the place to start learning Kaltura?

Piper Wilson

Community Moderator

• Dani

Kaltura customers new and experienced should definitely spend time here:

Video Tutorials and our Training Services sites.

Regards,

Dani

• Dani

@chrismmurray

I love the way you articulated the approach!

I've discovered that the process of learning Kaltura's video products was not a linear experience. I didn't start at "A" with the intention of getting to "Z". I started with the problem I needed to solve... then branched out from there. So don't think about it as "where should I start?" think of it as "what do I need to do first?"

To help you discover that, let me ask, whats your biggest challenge/problem/pain point with video right now?

Dani

• Piper
    edited October 15

@chrismmurray

I've discovered that the process of learning Kaltura's video products was not a linear experience. I didn't start at "A" with the intention of getting to "Z". I started with the problem I needed to solve... then branched out from there. So don't think about it as "where should I start?" think of it as "what do I need to do first?"

This perspective of peeling an onion helps me feel better. It helps to know that I'm not nuts for not having found "A" yet. Thank you!

To help you discover that, let me ask, what's your biggest challenge/problem/pain point with video right now?

The thing is, I don't have any particular challenges except it would be nice not to use Camtasia. I don't use video often. I need to learn the product so that I can be more useful to the community.

So let me flip this on you. Would you tell me more about the first problem you needed to solve?

Piper Wilson

Community Moderator

This Month's Leaders